Dia De Los Muertos in Corpus Christi
The Corpus Christi Dia de los Muertos Street Festival was started in 2008 when Belinda Edwards (Electra Art & Axis Tattoo) told her friend and neighbor, Michelle Smythe (K Space Contemporary) that she wanted to throw a Dia de los Muertos Party. Michelle said, “Let’s do it!” and they got started on the plans. The first event was contained on one block of Starr Street, had around 35 art vendors, one stage with a DJ and one band, and about 600 guests. The evening was beautiful, and the festival was a hit.
Now in our seventh year, El Dia de los Muertos Street Festival has grown to almost 35,000 in attendance. We have expanded to include two blocks of Starr Street and two blocks of Mesquite. There are now 3 stages: one for popular Latin-influenced music, one for more traditional cultural performances and one for up-and-coming Texas bands. Our Kids’ Corner includes craft activities, games, and a rock-climbing wall supplied by Kidz Ultimate Party Zone. Student Art Associations from TAMUCC and Del Mar College provide demonstrations for the event. Plus, The Dia de los Muertos Street Festival, organized by K Space Contemporary and Axis Tattoo, has become one of the most popular events in Corpus Christi. Our Hecho-a-Mano Art Expo is a main attraction of the event. The Corpus Christi Dia de los Muertos Festival has gained national attention as it has been listed in multiple Top 10 lists of Dia de los Muertos Celebrations in the US and Texas, and voted Best Festival (2016, 2017, 2018) in The Bend Magazine’s Locals List featuring many Dia de los Muertos themed craft items, jewelry, and artworks by over 90 vendors.
November 2, 2019
3:00 pm – 12:00 am
QUICK TIPS IF YOU GO:
- Check out our map and entertainment before you go !
- Bring a Folding Lawn Chair for seating in front of stages. Some seating is provided, but you are welcome to bring your own.
- Wear comfortable shoes & weather appropriate clothing. The festival covers 10 blocks & you might want to do some dancing!
- Cash – Many vendors cannot run credit cards. ATMS are available onsite.
- Check out the Official Merchandise Booth near the L & F Main Stage on Starr St. for cool Dia de los Muertos T-Shirts, festival posters, Loteria Corpus Christi games made from the mural’s images, cups, koozies & more.
- Hashtag your social media posts with #diadelosmuertoscc. We want to see how much fun you had!
- Have fun and enjoy the festival!
- Don’t bring an ice chest or alcohol into festival grounds – It is prohibited by city ordinance and TABC licensing.
- Don’t drive around for hours looking for a parking place. Use Park N Ride from City Hall.
Water Street will be closed to parking and you may have to walk a short distance to get to the Festival. Be careful where you park. Parking in the area surrounding the festival is owned by surrounding businesses and may be restricted. In these areas you may be towed. It is very important to read the parking signs — some restricted areas near the festival will be towing unauthorized vehicles.